A couple weeks ago, a kind reader of Snore & Guzzle named Carolyn dispatched a note detailing an experience she had at a small bookstore in Sarasota, Florida. Apparently, while browsing for books at said bookstore, she heard some music being piped through the store that caught her ear. After inquiring with the owner, she found out that it was Snore & Guzzle Radio Hour #14. The specific song that she found so compelling was White Hinterland’s “Dreaming of Plum Trees.” White Hinterland is Casey Dienel and Shawn Creeden — friends and neighbors of mine in Portland, Oregon — and one would be smart if they checked out their albums.
I’m pleased to know that a bookstore in a town where I know not a soul, nor have ever visited, is playing a radio program that I sequenced. And so, for this month’s edition, I’ve made a program dedicated to the patrons and proprietors of Sarasota News & Books. This is music for browsing books in a small, independent book store. The selections are drawn from a bevy of crates and I can’t really draw any particularly theme from this melange. The mix is kinda all over the place — you’ll hear Danish psyche, visionary new classical, 50s child pop, Indian brass band music, Italian rock & roll, Nambian dance music and a Japanese cover song of a certain American rap song, done in a bossa-nova style. I’d like to point out track #11, which has one of the most compelling titles I’ve ever come across: A lady Picking Tea Leaves with a Rhodedendrum Flower in her Hair by Krishna Das and the Modern Light Music Brass Band — the song is sourced from a college text book about brass bands. Support your local booksellers!
1. Secret Song # 1
2. The Books – The Lemon of Pink
3. Jon Brion – Healthy Choice
4. Patience & Prudence – Tonight you belong to me
5. Lullatone – Stars On The Ceiling Of A Planetarium
6. Secret Song #2
7. Kurt Vile – Songs for John in D
8. Michael Small – Goldfarb Fantasy Michael Small
9. Terry Riley – Premonition Rag
10. Kevin Ayers – May I?
11. Krishna Das and the Modern Light Music Brass Band – A lady Picking Tea Leaves with a Rhodedendrum Flower in her Hair
12. Mavula Badouin – Mbila Na Biso
13. Ella Jenkins – Yellow Bird
14. Loudon Wainright III – Glenville Reel
15. Howe Gelb – My Grandfather’s Clock
16. Cowboy – Shoestrings
17. Gnags – Der Er Sa Meget
18. The Rokes – Lascia l’ultimo ballo per me
19 . Mice Parade – Headphoneland in the School of Old
20. Department of Eagles – Teenagers